The Society for Technical Communication (STC) is the world’s largest and oldest professional association dedicated to the advancement of the field of technical communication. The Society’s members span the field of the technical communication profession and reach across every industry and continent. In fact, the Society has members in almost 50 countries and is continuing to grow rapidly outside of North America and Europe.
Through a growing global community, the Society and its members set the global standards for technical communication. The Society’s award-winning publications, Intercom and Technical Communication, are widely read in the field of technical communication, and its annual conference is one of the most-attended technical communication events of the year.
The Society, its geographic Chapters, and its Special Interest Groups (SIGs) produce a wide array of educational events throughout the year designed to advance the knowledge of members and promote technical communication education globally. STC educational events regularly feature the thought leaders and practitioners who represent the future of the profession.
The Society for Technical Communication advances technical communication as the discipline of transforming complex information into usable content for products, processes, and services.
STC serves its members by identifying and promoting best practices in the field and by demonstrating the economic value delivered by technical communicators. By providing lifelong learning opportunities, we help our members develop their skills and competencies so that they may advance in a variety of career paths.
To achieve this mission, we focus our efforts in these areas:
- Offer continuing education that enhances the competencies and skills of our members and enables lifelong learning
- Foster the means and opportunity for technical communication professionals to succeed in today’s workforce and to grow into related career fields
- Define and publicize the economic contribution of technical communication practices to businesses and governments
- Promote the concept that technical communication training develops foundational skills and fosters in practitioners habits of analysis, discernment, and problem-solving that underpins their ability to successfully perform in many fields
- Manage the operations of the Society in a sound and sustainable manner, investing strategically to enhance our ability to deliver member value
The Society for Technical Communication is recognized as an authority in the disciplines of designing and delivering content; and a leader in articulating the value of content and the value of those who develop it. Membership in STC is an internationally respected and desired complement to the study, teaching, and practice of technical communication.