June 22, 2017: Technical Writer (4 months)
Contact: Chloe Lowë (Kforce Technology) 858.550.1643
- A 4 month technical writer role focused on Software Design Documentation for a science company in the UTC/La Jolla area. Focused on creating software design documents and working with the Software architect on sharing a narrative and feature of a software product which can include defining UI and documenting API. This could include writing technical specifications, component diagrams, some class diagrams and sequence diagrams.
June 7, 2017: Staff Technical Writer, Qualcomm (24 months)
Contact: Dushyant Sikligar (Lancesoft)
- Responsible for planning, organizing, writing, editing and releasing a variety of technical documents, such as user guides, device specifications, design guidelines, and application notes.
- Candidate must be organized and have the ability to multi-task, work with minimal supervision, take initiative, and solve problems.
- Candidate must also be able to interact with others at all levels.
- Must be able to write and update user-level documentation design and functional specifications; documents may include online hypertext help files and diagrams.
- Must be able to provide editorial, formatting, and proofreading assistance to produce company internal and external documents under strict deadlines.
- Candidate must be able to direct team activities for an entire publications effort on a project; including research, interviewing engineers, and exercising tool software and scripts to obtain information.
- Available as a resource for the publication team, passes along knowledge and experience, and mentor/train/coordinate the work of others (but not necessarily supervising).
- Excellent writing, editing, desktop publishing, and communication skills.
- Writer must be able to rewrite text written by engineers who know English as a second language.
- Extensive experience with a variety of authoring and other job-related tools (document or web page template creating with Word, FrameMaker, or an HTML editor, for example).
- FrameMaker, Adobe Acrobat, and MSWord skills.
- Understanding of Excel functional commands; for example, basic and nested functions, editing cells containing conditional settings, working with customized macros.
- Understanding of database management systems and DITA is a plus
- Required: Bachelor’s, Computer Engineering and/or Computer Networks & Systems and/or Computer Science and/or Digital Media and/or Mechanical Engineering and/or Media & Multimedia Arts and/or Prof. & Technical Comm. or equivalent experience
Feb. 22, 2017: Technical Writer, FICO (San Jose, CA)
Contact Name: Christina Swanson
Address: 3661 Valley Centre Drive, Suite 500 San Diego, CA
Phone Number: 858-369-8000
Email Address: ChristinaSwanson@FICO.com
Web Site: www.fico.com
Job Title: Technical Writer – San Jose
Job Duration: Staff
FICO, the leader in predictive analytics for decision management, is looking for a technical writer to join our documentation team in San Jose. In this position, you will work with subject-matter experts in rules technology to determine the documentation requirements for various audiences.
- Use your passion for technical communication to write documentation for a developer audience. FICO develops desktop software and cloud-based applications.
- Create videos for new users of FICO products.
- Contribute to the user experience by providing feedback on product features to the development, usability, and QA teams as appropriate.
- BA/BS degree with 0-3 years of technical writing or software development experience, or the equivalent combination of work experience and education—all candidates will be asked to provide writing samples.
- Proven ability with English spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax and composition rules and a clear technical writing style.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with object-oriented programming concepts.
- Experience authoring topics in FrameMaker or DITA.
To apply for the position, email your resume to Christina Swanson at ChristinaSwanson@FICO.com and include this text in the subject line: Technical Writer (San Jose).
Feb. 12, 2017: Publications Manager/ Manager, External Scientific Communications, Allergan Inc. (via recruiter)
Please note that this position is also called aka “Publications Manager”. CMPP certification preferred. Prior experience in dermatology preferred.
The Manager, External Scientific Communications (aka “Publications Manager”), will maximize the reach of Allergan’s scientific communication within Allergan’s strategic customer segments.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
Supervising and leadership: Leads and is accountable for the Scientific development and the tactical implementation of an publication plan for brands / indications. Leads the development and the management of the annual budget.
Publication strategy and management: Leads the development of a specific publication strategy:
Develops and maintains long-term (3 years) and short-term (1 year) publication plans and strategies. It includes:
– the appropriate gathering and integration of customer and market insights,
– the development and presentation of a compelling business case for the proposed publication plan, and the assessment of the resource required and the timing of their mobilization.
– Leads and manages a publication team made of internal and external resources. Proposes and gets the endorsement of the different internal team members regarding the selection of the type of publication to go after (e.g., manuscript, abstract, poster, etc.) and the content dissemination venue suited to communicate the developed content. Takes into consideration other brands publication programs to create synergies and avoids sub-optimal timing.
- Leads and guides agency’s strategic work and deliverables.
Publication tactics and management: Plans and monitors the implementation of specific publication tactics:
– Plans and communicates the publication timing with respective internal stakeholders to timely schedule the delivery of the proposed content through the different channels
– Manages the external and internal resources to work on publication deliverables (e.g., content drafting, content editing, abstract submission, etc.). Periodically, tracks the status of content development internally, and mobilizes external writers if required.
– Leads periodic review meetings with internal stakeholders to communicate progress on the implementation plan, to ensure quality and timeliness of the content development process, to address potential upcoming issues, to propose – if necessary – a risk mitigation plan and to check the timely submission of the content
– Integrates publication performance metrics periodically. Communicates and informed overall status of the publication strategy and implementation plan to the medical affairs, the brand and the R&D teams
– Leads and guides agency’s tactical work and deliverables
Stakeholder management: Leads and/or provides support to manage the relationship with external stakeholders involved in the publication process:
– Positions him/herself as the publication point of contact in the eyes of the external stakeholders
– Initiates and manages live meetings with external stakeholders. Informs them on Allergan’s publication portfolio process. Is proactive in creating opportunities to work with colleagues who may have some existing relationships with external scientific thought leaders
– Identifies the external stakeholder publication needs and reports them to the publication portfolio team and manages the discussion to resource and potentially address needs
Internal stakeholder management and knowledge management:
– Provides scientific knowledge and strategic inputs to support the scientific platform
– Owns and delivers presentations within the Company as required with input from supervisor.
– Improves professional knowledge by attending seminars, classes, workshops and through regular reading of scientific literature.
– Develops and communicates Good Publication Practice SOPs across TAs
– Monitors compliance to SOPs
Budgeting and contracting:
– Collects and presents publication budget data from external and internal sources, for multiple TAs.
Performance monitoring and reporting:
– Leads the development of a strategic dashboard that captures the performance of the publication process across brands and indications.
– Oversees the accurate tracking and communication process of the publication planning performance metrics
– Troubleshoots publication planning issues that might be highlighted in the reports, across brands.
Desired Experience and Knowledge Prior to Assuming the Position
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team without reporting relationship authority
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a strong and stable network within the internal organization
- Previous responsibility for managing key vendor relationships
– Prior ownership for developing and executing scientific strategic plans and tactics focused on various audiences
– Experience in developing scientific communication strategies and tactics, including the launch of new products and lifecycle management activities for specific audiences (investigators, payers, thought leaders, trade associations, etc)
– Experience in executing and in overseeing highly complex programs and projects
– Strategic planning experience required
– Experience working in a highly matrixed organization
– Working knowledge of the Allergan contracting process
Education and Experience:
– Ph.D. with two years specific publications experience OR
– MS with four years specific publications experience OR
– BA/BS with six years specific publications experience
Essential Skills and Abilities:
– Customer Focus: Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive relationship
– Establishing Strategic Direction: Establishes and commits to a long-range course of action after analyzing information and assumptions; takes into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
– Driving Execution: Translates strategy into operational reality. Breaks down strategic priorities or business initiatives into key tasks and identifies accountability. Aligns communication, people, culture, processes, resources and systems to ensure effective implementation and delivery of required results.
– Building Partnerships: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
– Building Trust: Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
– Information Monitoring: Sets up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
– Demonstrated technical abilities and skills in the use and management of the Datavision and other software applications, i.e., Microsoft Outlook, Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
– Ability to exercise good business judgment.
– Strong platform style, ability to make group presentations at regional and national meetings as required.
– Available for limited travel.
Dec. 6, 2016: Senior Tech Writer, BioNano Genomics on Towne Centre Drive, San Diego
Contract of about 9 months. A senior tech writer position with experience writing about DNA protocols for a scientific audience.
Project requires a user guide, sell sheet, and protocol guides. Will work with Marketing, Customer Solutions, and Development.
Halleh Ahadian (https://www.linkedin.com/in/halleh-ahadian-9a69217)
Dec. 6, 2016: Tech writer/information architect
The client is a software (SaaS) and full stack marketing agency that has grown substantially and has lots of recurring revenue from their strong software product lines. This is a newly created position, so they will be looking for guidance on software to utilize etc. It is important to them that someone has ability w/ graphics and really can put together a new age experience to their work. I’m assuming the position compensation range to be in the $40 – $70k full time permanent w/ exceptional benefits. I (Aaron) would be very open to speaking with anyone w/ 2 years + of experience and it would be important for them to have some samples of their work or a portfolio to view.
My client is very new to the world of technical writing so they will be looking for someone that can provide the insight and direction of tools they should utilize. There is a UX/UI and graphic design team within the company, so all tools will be accessible.
Essential Goals and Responsibilities
- Determine the needs of end users for creation and implementation of SOP’s
- Create roadmap for processes and procedures
- Organize and write supporting documents for products
- Use photographs, drawings, diagrams, animation, and charts that increase users’ understanding
- Select appropriate medium for message for audience such as online help, manuals (system, end-user, training), white papers, design specifications, project plans, test plans, business correspondence, or online videos
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Gather usability feedback from end users
- Revise documents, as needed
- Keep Company Wiki updated with current SOP’s and FAQ’s
Behavioral Traits, Attitudes and Skills Required
- Build strong client and internal relationships.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to work successfully under internal pressure.
- Strategic thinking and project planning.
- Flexibility to adapt to an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, English, or communications or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years in Technical Writing (Technology or software development background a plus).
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency, adapts to software easily, excellent email and excel skills.
- Proficient in graphics and design.
- Proven experience working on multiple projects from start to finish.
- Compensation – DOE
- Bonus — TBD
- Benefits — Medical, Dental, Vision, Life 401K
- Paid Time Off — Three weeks
- Company Events
- Excellent office location and casual environment
- Advancement opportunities as company grows and expands markets
Nov. 22, 2016: Senior Cybersecurity Policy Writer
Leidos is seeking a Senior Cybersecurity Policy Writer to manage the lifecycle of corporate level cybersecurity policies and standards. In this role, the successful candidate will draft, edit, review, and update Leidos cybersecurity policies and standards in alignment with NIST SP 800-53, NIST SP 800-171, ISO 27001, and other applicable cybersecurity requirements. The candidate will collaborate with Leidos cybersecurity subject matter experts and key stakeholders (internal audit, legal, privacy, human resources, etc.) to identify and address gaps in Leidos cybersecurity policies.
- Write, edit, review, and update cybersecurity policies, standards, and technical specifications to ensure Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI), Personally Identifiable Information (PII), intellectual property, and other sensitive data is protected as required by all relevant laws, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) for all Leidos cybersecurity policies and standards.
- Interpret and communicate Leidos cybersecurity policies and standards as requested.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to ensure cybersecurity policies, standards, and relevant technical documentation are regularly reviewed, updated, and approved.
- Identify and address cybersecurity policy gaps.
- Support relevant cybersecurity and corporate IT projects and programs.
- 4+ years of cybersecurity policy writing experience.
- Experience writing cybersecurity policies based on NIST 800-53, NIST 800-171 and ISO 27001.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Expertise in identifying cybersecurity policy gaps which expose the company to critical risks.
- Proven ability to correct policy gaps identified through internal audits and risk assessments.
- Expert level understanding of cybersecurity frameworks including but not limited to NIST 800-53, ISO 27001, and NIST 800-171.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- 5+ years of experience writing cybersecurity policies, standards, and technical documentation, preferably in a large corporate environment and/or regulated industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or related field.
- CISSP, CISA, and/or other relevant industry certifications.
- Cybersecurity risk management expertise.
Sheela Kinhal, email@example.com
(Spyrion has been engaged by Leidos to identify candidates)
Nov. 16, 2016: Technical Writer, Marketing
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
We are a population health company that is redefining how population health is managed, measured and implemented. We have challenged ourselves, our partners and our clients to build simpler, more powerful and streamlined solutions to confront the most complex tasks and scenarios. When people engage with their care community, we move from reactively supporting care to jointly managing the wellness of a population. We believe population wellness is more than just a vision; it’s a reality that we’re driving every day as we build The Platform for Population Wellness.
Role: Technical Writer (full time, San Diego, no travel)
Assignment: Transcend Insights – Marketing
Location: San Diego, CA
Requisition ID – 167956
- Be a part of a leading edge marketing team – We are looking for a Technical Writer to produce high-quality documentation that contributes to the overall success of our products. You will join a team of talented product managers and marketers who work collaboratively with developers, quality engineers, product managers, and usability experts to make our products easier to use.
- Work with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities
- Create and maintain the information architecture
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience
- Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides
- Create tutorials to help end-users use a variety of applications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years work experience with technical writing or related field
- 5+ years background in healthcare information technology
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation a plus
- Basic Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and PDF)
- Experience using Visio, Notepad+ and PureText
- Basic understanding of SharePoint, Atlassian Confluence and Jira
- Knowledge of Author-It program or other content development programs
- Experience with Camtasia video editing software
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to present ideas in a business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Self-motivated and directed
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Very strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- You will report to a marketing manager. This area is under the leadership of the VP Marketing.
Oct. 28, 2016: Creative Quality Control Manager (Editorial Manager)
- Provide quality checks on all marketing materials
- Ensure excellence in messaging consistency by adhering to in-house style, brand, and American Medical Association (AMA) guidelines
- Partner with legal/regulatory on compliance to language standards
- Help marketing writers communicate complex scientific and clinical data in a clear, concise, and compelling manner
- Manage a heavy workload in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- BS Degree
- 3 to 5 years proofreading or equivalent editing experience
- Medical, diagnostics, pharma, health care, or life sciences industry experience
- Expertise in English grammar, punctuation, and usage
- Ability to adhere to and enforce brand guidelines and company messaging standards
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience checking annotations and compiling for legal/regulatory review
Email Mark Trevethan your resume and a range of hourly compensation you are looking for.
Sept. 29, 2016: Contract Technical Writer, Intuit (W-2, $30-35/hr, 12 months+)
Extensive writing and/or content development experience
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including mastery of English language, grammar, structure and punctuation, and able to write accurate yet concise content
A proven track record on projects that translate complex concepts into easy-to-understand articles
Work samples that use an engaging, conversational tone to give your target audience confidence in their ability to perform tasks and the feeling that you care
Understands how to enter and correct HTML code
Skill at using Help content publication programs
Talent at conceiving and creating annotated screen shots to illustrate key points. Experience writing scripts for short instructional videos or tutorials
Sept. 24, 2016: Mid-Level Technical Writer, Seismic.com
Sept. 23, 2016: Technical Communication Instructor, UCSD Extension
Note: this is for online classes.
Contact Lori Serocki for more information.