Sue Walsh and Morgan Quinn, both UX writers, led the panel discussion. The talk was filled with good information for technical communicators interested in UX writing.
What is UX writing?
A type of technical communication, UX writing is designing and curating words you see when you interact with software.
When do you see UX writing?
You see it whenever you interact with software. For example, when you install a new app, type in a dialogue box, set up a new phone, or do your tax return online, the text that guides you through the process is UX writing.
How is UX copy different than other technical writing?
UX copy is created only for software and is produced in technology companies. This context places greater constraints of conciseness, brevity, functionality, and accessibility upon the copy.
Characteristics of good UX copy
Secured by sufficient product and customer analysis, your content must be:
- clear – accurate information and specific to the customer’s needs
- concise – scannable (able to be grasped at a glance)
- useful – task focused
- pleasing – supports the user through the process, including user error
- translatable – logical and unambiguous
- brand specific – tone consistent with company brand
The ideal UX writing process
A collaborative process, the writing typically develops in stages.
- Know the product’s design and how the customer interacts with the product.
- Gather information and evidence to uncover customer problems; user testing.
- Design content the audience needs, when, and how they expect.
- Fine tune the voice and tone of the words people see for maximum positive effect.
Goals of UX writing
The text should gladden the user by reducing the cognitive load in using the product. It should make getting to the next step in the customer’s experience as easy as possible.
Presenting first was Sue Walsh, a writer with GoPro, who’s product is digital cameras. Morgan Quinn, with Turbo Tax, a popular online platform for doing your own tax return, spoke second. Later they fielded questions.
What is UX Writing? by Lisa Sanchez, MEDIUM: https://medium.com/@lmsanchez/what-is-ux-writing-1eb71b0f0606
6 Elements of a Kick-ass UX Writing Portfolio by Morgan Quinn, MEDIUM: https://medium.com/blueprint-by-intuit/6-elements-of-a-kick-ass-ux-writing-portfolio-4fbcf7516e2c