About the Educational Development Department or EDD
EDD can help you find a job or get training. The state of California has an Employment Development Department (EDD) whose Workforce Services Branch provides and administers employment and training services in partnership with state and local agencies such as CalJOBS and America’s Job Centers of California (AJCC).
For more than 70 years, the EDD has connected millions of job seekers and employers in an effort to build the Golden State’s economy. Hundreds of AJCC affiliated job centers throughout the state provide individualized basic career assistance to its members.
EDD can help you find a job – AJCC membership
By proving eligibility to work in the state of California you may join. If you are 18-26 years of age you will also need to show that you are registered with the Selective Service.
- Locate a job center. Search the EDD website at Office Locator. There are several locations in San Diego.
- Call the job center. Speak with a representative to verify the location, services, and facilities. Ask about what documents you need to prove eligibility to work in the state of California. If you are a male citizen or immigrant 18 to 25 years old you will need your Selective Service card. If you are exempt you will need documentation. Check Who Must Register for Selective Service for more information.
- Visit the center and become a member of the AJCC. Bring your eligibility documents.
- Read and sign the AJCC’s policy.
- Register with CalJOBS and open an account.
EDD can help you find a job – Registering with CalJOBS
CalJOBS is California’s online resource for job seekers and employers to navigate the state’s workforce services. Once registered you can get help with:
- Finding a job
- Building a resume
- Accessing contacts and referrals within your field
- Finding qualified candidates for employment
- Gathering information on education and training programs
At the AJCC job center the staff can provide technical assistance with use of equipment and advice on effective search techniques. You may request counseling to help you in your job search and in applying to state programs for funding of education and skills training.
Funding for education and training is available pending budget resources and your eligibility. Eligibility is discussed confidentially with a counselor at the job center. It is based on your financial hardship, personal circumstances, and related factors.
Additional Resources from the EDD
CalJOBS Help Desk 1-800-758-0398, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed on state holidays.