In November, members and prospects were invited to share their views about the benefits of adding San Diego Chapter membership to the primary STC Membership, as well as to suggest ways to improve Chapter programs.
Here are the responses received (via the STC San Diego Slack channel):
1. The STC San Diego Chapter receives funding from the STC international organization when a member also elects to become a chapter member. The Chapter does not receive this funding otherwise.
2. The San Diego Chapter provides services at the local level that our community needs: programs, pub socials, resume reviews, a Slack workspace, interviewing help, job resources, local industry knowledge, local workplace knowledge and career knowledge.
3. The San Diego Chapter exceeds the mandate of the international STC organization by providing assistance to local professionals who may not be directly involved in technical communications.
4. The San Diego Chapter helps members grow their careers through volunteer opportunities. For example, one member reported that volunteering with STC San Diego enabled learning to manage larger WordPress websites of over 30 pages, content writing, strategy and leadership – benefits applicable to both professional and personal life.
5. The opportunity to “network with one’s tribe”. It is so much fun!
Our thanks to all contributors!
Best wishes for the holiday season, from all of us at STC San Diego.