STC San Diego is entirely run by volunteers.
Volunteering is a great way to get more value from your STC membership.
When you volunteer you can:
- Share your experience and expertise with the STC San Diego community;
- Learn new skills to add to your resume;
- Gain experience;
- Network and make connections;
- Grow personally and professionally;
- Get to know your STC San Diego community; and
- Have fun!
Volunteer as a community member or become a member of our leadership team. Impact the future of STC San Diego.
If you would like to volunteer, contact us here, or email us at email@example.com.
We are always looking for volunteers to contribute. You need to be an STC member to hold a position on the leadership council, but STC membership is NOT required to volunteer.
Volunteering opportunities include helping out on small tasks or projects or contributing a blog post to our website.
Alternatively, you could opt to volunteer for a position with specific responsibilities.
We have options for everyone, no matter your skill level or the amount of time you can dedicate.
Volunteering for STC San Diego is professional experience
As a volunteer with STC San Diego, you can:
- Engage with the tech comm community on our various online platforms;
- Collect and share information about job opportunities, staffing agencies, and recruiters;
- Help out with virtual and/or in-person events;
- Write a recap of a chapter meeting for our website;
- Update and maintain chapter documents, and policies, and procedures;
- Coordinate our chapter goals with STC’s Community Achievement Award (CAA).
- Speak to San Diego-area classes about technical communication and STC San Diego; and
- Create content for the STC San Diego website and get published online!
Submit content relevant to STC San Diego on topics including:
- Your experience at one of our events or another industry event;
- Tools or strategies you’ve learned and how you apply them to your work;
- Your journey to becoming a technical communicator;
- Your thoughts on industry trends;
- And other related topics. See an example.
The recommended length for blog posts is 300-600 words.
Become a Member of Our Leadership Team
Your contribution to STC San Diego impacts the quality of chapter membership for all members.
As a council member, you’ll be a leader in the STC San Diego community, contribute as a member of a team, and you may plan events and programs and/or speak publicly.
Our leadership roles are flexible, and we welcome your ideas.
STC San Diego leadership meets once a month. Tasks are frequently completed online, and communication takes place on our Slack channel.
Council members enjoy many benefits, including:
- New skills and experiences to add to your resume and LinkedIn profile;
- Discounted meetings and workshops;
- Free registration to the annual STC Summit when you serve as president; and
- The opportunity to make new contacts and friendships.
Elections for council take place in the spring. Elected candidates serve for a full calendar year.
Are you interested in leading STC San Diego or gaining leadership experience? If so, serving on the STC San Diego council may be for you.
- Presides over monthly chapter meetings.
- Presides over monthly council meetings.
- Liaises between international STC and the local chapter.
- Supports and guides council members.
- Provides a vision to keep our organization relevant to our community.
- Manages payments collected for meetings and events.
- Deposits money into the bank checking account.
- Updates all chapter accounts each month.
- Receives and verifies the monthly bank statement.
- Pays periodic bills such as the website hosting company.
- Submits a balanced budget to the STC San Diego council.
- Prepares a fiscal year-end financial report to International STC.
- Compiles and distributes the agenda for the council meetings.
- Records council meeting minutes.
- Keeps the meetings on track.
- Maintains all non-financial records for the current year.
- Writes chapter correspondence not specifically assigned to another officer or committee manager.
- Directs members to post job opportunities and resources on LinkedIn and our Slack channel.
- Posts open jobs on STC San Diego’s LinkedIn and Slack groups.
- Shares recent job postings at meetings.
- Coordinates an annual networking event for unemployed or under-employed technical communicators.
- Provides up-to-date information about resumes or interviewing skills.
- Helps unemployed members find value in STC San Diego.
- Liaises with the tech comm community.
- Actively posts on a regular basis using SEO strategies to boost post reach on our social media channels which include LinkedIn, Twitter (@STCSoCal), Facebook, Meetup, and Slack.
- Generate excitement and interest in chapter events and tech comm discussions on our LinkedIn, Facebook, and Meetup and Slack pages.
- Eliminates inappropriate or outdated posts.
- Posts links for tech comm meetings, workshops, trade shows, conferences, seminars, webinars, and local jobs to the Twitter and LinkedIn accounts.
- Maintains the DLVR.IT RSS feed for @STCSoCal.
Community Engagement Coordinator
- Helps drive member interaction
- Spreads awareness of chapter events and activities.
- Contributes new ideas, develops new programs, expands our reach.
- Helps plan engaging meeting content.
- Schedules meetings and coordinates event details.
- Obtains a topic description and biography from the presenter.
- Ensures that event details are communicated to members across our web, email, and social media assets.
- Creates post-meeting surveys.
- Surveys the tech comm population to find appealing programs.
- Welcomes in-person meeting attendees and helps them get settled.
- Helps with in-person event setup.
- Verifies attendee registration.
- Collects PayPal payments if necessary.
- Distributes pre-printed name tags for meeting attendees.
- Distributes door prize tickets if applicable.
Professional Development Coordinator
- Maintains and updates online resources.
- Develops workshops and classes.
- Shares information about webinars that can improve writing and technical skills.
- Shares educational opportunities.
- Surveys tech comm members to find the most desired educational topics.
- Promotes useful new professional media.
- Promotes STC membership.
- Maintains a database that tracks current and non-active STC members.
- Surveys the techcomm population to discover current attitudes toward STC.
- Maintains relationships with other professional writing communities.
- Announces new STC programs that may add value or reduce the cost to members.
- If possible, obtains Summit webinars and attendee reports for presentation to chapter members.
Institutional and Corporate Relations
- Establishes relationship with companies and organizations to promote STC San Diego, to promote membership in STC San Diego, to secure donations for events, and to possibly obtain corporate sponsorship.
- Speaks to local colleges and universities to promote the benefits of joining STC San Diego.
- Adds, updates, and edits website content.
- Maintains, updates, and manages WordPress site.
- Works to improve website functionality, usability, and readability for STC San Diego community.