Date(s) - 03/07/2018
2:00 am - 4:30 am
Scripps Cottage, Scripps Terrace
Have you ever wondered how to tap into the hidden technical communicator job market? Do you know what you’re supposed to do once you find it?
STC San Diego’s Job Search Progression at SDSU is your chance to learn how to conduct a successful job search in the hidden technical communicator job market.
This free event will be held on March 6, from 6:00 to 8:30 at Scripps Cottage on the SDSU campus. We will have light snacks and unstructured networking from 6:00 to 6:20 pm.
The job search progression starts promptly at 6:30 pm, after a brief talk about the Certificate in Professional Writing and the Rhetoric and Writing Studies Masters degree emphasis in Professional Writing at SDSU, and the Society for Technical Communication – San Diego (STC-San Diego) at 6:20 pm.
Here’s how the progression works:
We will have four tables, each with a facilitator who will talk about a different aspect of your tech comm job search. Bring your questions, resume, LinkedIn profile, and business cards to prepare for an evening of networking, information gathering, and fun. Every 15 to 20 minutes we’ll switch tables, creating a rousing and informative evening!
Here are the tables we’ll have set up:
1. Interviewing and Management: Get your questions answered regarding your interview concerns. Get a list of items that can help you improve your interviews. Do you know:
- What are the top 8 types of interview questions
- What are the 10 most common interview questions
- What are the best answers for situational interview questions
- What are good questions for the interviewee to ask
- What do hiring managers look for
2. Portfolio: Get advice on how to create the best possible portfolio, even when you don’t have any job experience.
3. Job Searching: Get advice on how to best perform your job search. Are there best places to post your resume? Is having a LinkedIn profile important? What are good search techniques for finding openings? Get your questions answered by people who’ve been there and successfully found a great job.
4. Resume Reviews: Bring a printed copy of your resume to submit for review. Some resumes we can review onsite. Others we will review through STC San Diego’s resume review service, which may take two to three weeks to complete.
So, bring your resumes, LinkedIn profile printouts, business cards, and questions! We’ll have fun, learn a lot, and make new connections. This is also a great networking opportunity!
This free event is sponsored by the Certificate in Professional Writing and the Rhetoric and Writing Studies Masters degree emphasis in Professional Writing at SDSU. We hope it benefits students and others interested in finding employment in the field of technical communication.
Seating is limited, however. So, please register to guarantee your seat at the table.
Where to park:
You should park in Parking Structure 12. There is a kiosk outside the structure and next to the soccer field that accepts cash and credit cards. After paying, take the elevator to 4th floor to the pedestrian overpass, which will take you towards Scripps Cottage. The cottage is a 5-minute walk from the parking garage and is wheelchair accessible.